|Ganesha: The remover of Obstacles. This elephant headed god represents that part of consciousness that brings success in all endeavors by removing all obstacles in the way.|
Shri Brahmananda Saraswati
My sincere desire is to make you successful in Self-Realization through the concentration of mental powers.
Success is a by product of practice.
Never doubt your ability to control your mind.
Be positive that you have eternal existence, knowledge and bliss.
Never say " I will try..."
Do not become discouraged in your failure. You will eventually be sucessful in your practice.
Be sure that you can do anything and everything- whatever has been done by liberated souls. Have full confidence in yourself.
You will feel the universe in yourself and yourself in the entire universe. Ultimately this will end in identity with the supreme. You will feel that "That art thou" (I am that.)
The whole universe will be your book.
Shri Brahmananda Saraswati explains Ashtanga Yoga of Patanjali, 250 CE.
1. Make a firm determination to control your mind. This is the first step: yama.
2. Follow strict rules to accomplish your determination. This is the second step niyama.
3. Place your body in a firm and steady posture. This is the thrid step: aasana.
4. Practice control of your breathing. This is the fourth step praanaayaama.
5. Withdraw your conscious energy from the external world and external contact. Identify yourself with Supreme Consciousness. This is the fifth step pratyaahaara.
6. Fix your mind on three things: particular chakras, other points in the body and general concentration on the enire body. This is the sixth step or dhaaranaa.(fixation)
7. Send a strong suggestion* after fixation. The suggestion you choose depends on your intention. This is the seventh step dhyaana.(suggestion)
8. Feel the senation of your given suggestion, whether your mind can follow your command or not. This is the eigth step samadhi. (sensation.)
* There are "Five Suggestions."
1. Tat Tvam Asi: " I am that"
2. Aham Bhramasmi "I am Bhraman."
3. Ayamaatmaa Brahman "This Self is Brahman.
4. Prajnaanam Brahman "Consciousness is Brahman."
5. Sat Chidaanandam Brahman "Eternal bliss consciousness is Brahman."